Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Solo in Kyushu (Summer 2015) 1/7

15 July 2015
Nagasaki: City, Mount Inasa Night view and Oden supper





Didn't sleep a wink last night as I was afraid I couldn't catch the early train this morning. 

Tokyo was rainy all week and Tama chan and I were feeling very gloomy about the days in Tokyo. When Tokyo rains, it rains the WHOLE day. It's just so gloomy. So I was very happy when the shinkansen headed west and I began to see the sun !!! I love train rides :)





however happy moments don’t last. I was so happy to see the sun. Then, when I feel the heat, I feel like going back Tokyo :( 




35degrees seriously ?! perspiring like nobody’s business !!! and I meant it's really really hot. I was in spaghetti short dress and it's still freaking HOT!

I didn't have much of a plan in Nagasaki. Basically the reason why I wanted to come here was the Atomic bomb museum. Having visited the Hiroshima one, I got very interested in this part of the history so I planned this trip. So on top of that, it's just Gunkanjima and Huis Ten Bosch Themepark. 

I arrived at Akari hostel (http://www.nagasaki-hostel.com/) at about 3-4pm. Again, I knew of this hostel because it's sister hostel with the hostel I stayed in Hiroshima. It was freaking hot and I actually walked from the train station to the hostel T.T I wanted to save some money... The plan for today was to roam around the hostel. Then I saw some info on night scenery view on Mount Inasa so I went towards the train station again (just to book the tour T.T), only to find out that it's fully booked for the evening!!! Luckily I understood Japanese so the staff advised me to call and book with another operator. After booking, I made my way to the famous Champon shop that Fukuyama Masaharu patronises often (http://ekagen.net/archives/22579815.html). Tabelog: http://tabelog.com/en/nagasaki/A4201/A420101/42000481/

After walking for almost half an hour in that 35 degrees hot sun, I found out that the store is not OPENED!!!!!! I almost died on the spot. I googled and found out that the rest days of the restaurant is not fixed. VERY SAD =( But I had the tour to attend at 715pm, so I did a quick search and found another champon place just 5 mins away from my hostel.





Yummy :) I ate everything :)

Rushed to the Hotel New Nagasaki  beside the train station for the bus pickup. I barely made it!! What a close shave. 

The bus brought us all the way up to the mountain top observatory deck. It was windy and nice. By the way the night view up on Mount Inasa are ranked among Japan's three best night views besides the views from Mount Hakodate and Mount Rokko :) Look up for directions over here (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4412.html) but I would say if you know Japanese you should opt for the tour to avoid problems with the public transport. (mine was 1300yen but I remembered the original one that I wanted to take was 1000yen?). The tour operator office is this small shop beside the police station (Koban) at the Nagasaki JR station. The tour allows about 40 mins at the deck before bringing you back to the hotel. The duration is more than enough. 







I searched high and low for the heart shape illumination and finally found it. There is only one shaped like a heart :) good luck! 




Ended my night at this oden restaurant which was marked on the tourist map given by Akari hostel. The reason why I was attracted was because it says "flying fish oden"!!! (by the way it really tastes qutie nice!) There are many other restaurants around this area though.



I Love oden. LOVE <3 font="">

Was enjoying my oden when I started to speak to the owner of the store and one of the customers.. they were talking about cultural and habit differences of Southeast Asia. I was embarrassed when they said Raffles Long Bar was not the best place to go because the Singapore Sling was ready made >< Sorry I apologise on the behalf of the bar >.< Locals don't go there!!



Owner in blue and friend in yellow


Before I left, the owner asked what made me enter his restaurant, as you cannot see the inside of the restaurant, and he was thinking how he can attract more customers. well.. I trusted the map and Nagasaki. Nagasaki is a very safe place, even though I was alone at night I felt safe. And I didn't want to go to any touristy place. Then again we should always be on alert when we are travelling alone.. he talked about if he should make a window instead, well it makes sense but the traditional feeling would be gone....

Information of the oden shop はくしか 
http://www.hakushika.net/shoplist/hamanomachi

All in all a good day as a solo trip, despite the heat =)

No comments: