Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Solo in Kyushu (Summer 2015) 4/7: Hakata Gion Yamakasa Festival



Famous volcano in Kyushu: Sakurajima 桜島




Having lived in Singapore all my life, I always thought hot weather is not a problem for me. 
But summer in Japan? Do not underestimate! Especially in Kyushu, which is warmer than other places in Japan. However personally I feel that Kyushu is a really, really lovely place, although many tourists tend to flock to the North of Japan. My interest in Kyushu started when I worked part time for a Kyushu food event 10 years ago, and that love for it has never wavered. Since then, I have been to Kyushu 3 times, and every time I am greeted with the warm hospitality of the people there! Not to mention the food in Kyushu tastes so heavenly good!!! (I strongly believe that Kyushu has the best cuisine in the whole of Japan. I can write a whole post just on Kyushu cuisine!! Haha!)



However, despite the heat, summer is exactly the time to GET OUT AND HAVE FUN! There are so many events and festivals happening in Japan during summer you will often find yourself in a dilemma on which to attend. I visited Fukuoka in July 2015 with one main purpose in mind - HAKATA GION YAMAKASA FESTIVAL!




The festival is held from 1-15 July every year. It goes on for 2 weeks and events include display of the huge kazariyama floats, rehearsal races and the actual race. Prior to this festival, I have also attended the Torigoe festival in Tokyo, which was also an eye-opener. But what is so special about this festival in Fukuoka is that they RUN with the one-ton kakiyama floats! You will be amazed with how fast they can run!!! (I will be posting a video too! See for yourself!!)




I went to the festival with my friends, the Ozaki family on a Sunday, travelling from their house in Kokura for this event. We couldn't attend the weekday actual race because of Mama Ozaki's work. Not the actual day, but the town was bustling and getting ready for the festival.


We stopped by Ichiran ramen for lunch, the most well-known Hakata ramen. How can we miss out on Ichiran at its home base?!!!





YUMMY AS USUAL :)




After that we proceeded to the area around Reisen Park (冷泉公園) where the Kushida Shrine (櫛田神社)is, to find the best spot to view the race. 

Wow, I was surprised to see so many participants in loincloth :P The participants were all getting ready for the races.

A kind soul gave me his route map of the race when I randomly went to ask him about the route. Talk about kind Japanese people :) After figuring out the routes we walked around the shopping area since it was not time yet for the race.




The interesting themes of the big kazariyama floats. Look, Doraemon!!! This is just one of the many floats around the area. 

At some of the floats there are gigantic ice blocks with toys inside, placed in front of the kazariyama floats. The kids were rubbing the ice and trying to make the ice melt faster so that they can get the toys! It was very interesting. Later on I did see it on the making-of the ice on TV. It's a long process as the ice blocks are SO big!





Waiting for the races to start




Time to get down to business!!! The races started about 2pm in the afternoon. There were so many participants, vying for victory for their "clans". When the commentator counted down to the start of the race, I got nervous for the participants as they got into their ready-get-set pose. The race timings are announced after each team's race.


Look at the very well-made kakiyama floats!!



Kids and adults of all ages participated too!



The races started about 2pm in the afternoon. There were so many participants, vying for victory for their "clans". They usually represent the neighbourhood they stay in. When the commentator counted down to the start of the race, I got nervous for the participants as they got ready. The race timings are announced after each team's race.



The most awesome thing about this event is actually Japanese's community spirit. Families and shop vendors joined in the fun by cheering for them, and also spraying water to lessen the friction on the road. This is something you don't see at other events.



Kids were trying their best too!



Look at this racing video to experience the speed and action!


When I was there, there was actually a mini-accident that abruptly stopped one of the races! and it was such a coincidence that I was taking a selfie video... (to be uploaded)

I really think one cannot go to Japan and not attend a maturi!! Especially Hakata Gion Yamakasa Festival!




Along the area there are also a lot of delicious Japanese food, some of which have very long history.
I had the A don in this restaurant. It is said to be called “A” don because the owner named the meals in the restaurant as A, B, C for convenience during busy hours. It was similar to Katsu-don but fish instead of pork. It was really delicious!

Can I also mention that Tenjin has a crazy underground shopping area. So big I got lost!! 




No comments: